Ni tsun hwule'lum'ut ch' I take notice of you (I care)
Information for Families, Youth & Community
Most of us struggle with mental wellness challenges or addiction at some point in our lives.
But sadly there's still a lot of stigma and shame when it comes to getting help.
It’s time for us to come together as a community and eliminate this stigma and shame, and support each other.
Talking About Drugs
We need to start talking more with our kids, family, and friends about drug use and the risk of overdose and death. In many overdose deaths, the family and friends of people who died did not know they were using drugs.
Here are some great resources to get started:
- Overdose Prevention FAQs
- How to Respond to an Overdose
- Talking About Substance Use
- Decolonizing Substance Use & Addiction - Len Pierre TED Talk
Message From Youth Centre Staff
More Info & Articles
B.C. nears 500 fatal overdoses in 1st quarter of 2021; 158 deaths in March - Cowichan Valley Citizen, Apr. 29, 2021
'An Immense Toll': 498 Deaths from Poisoned Drugs This Year in BC - The Tyee, Apr. 29, 2021
'Dying a slow death': Father appeals for destigmatization of drug use amid overdose crisis - Times Colonist, April 30, 2021
Why BC’s Illicit Drugs Are Increasingly Deadly - The Tyee, August 14th 2020
Quw’utsun Youth Speak Out
Partnership to End Addiction E-books
A great selection of free e-books to learn about drugs & addiction and help you talk to your kids.
Toward the Heart - BCCDC
Excellent resources and videos on overdose prevention and how to give Naloxone
Stop Overdose BC
Great resources on harm reduction, how to respond to an overdose, and where to get help
Activity Updates and Reports
- Hope and Transformation - Benefits of Housing First Model
- Summary of Interviews with People Who Use Substances
- Working Group June 2021 Activity Update
- Opioid Crisis Community Survey Report
- Working Group May 2021 Activity Update
- Working Group April 2021 Activity Update
- Opioid Crisis Response Task Force and Recommendations
- Watch our Aug 31 Opioid Crisis Community Forum
- Task Force October 2020 Activity Update