Band Rental Units
This page will include information important to all tenants residing in a Cowichan Tribes band rental unit.
ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY IN EFFECT
Cowichan Tribes maintains a strict zero tolerance policy in all band rental units. This means no alcohol, no drugs and no smoking of any kind.CLICK HERE to read the memo issued February 14, 2020 regarding the Zero Tolerance Policy:
Highlights of this memo:
- Tenants and guests shall not harass, disturb or annoy occupants of the building, neighboring homes or community members traveling through the area.
- Quiet hours are in effect from 10:00 PM and 9:00 AM. Avoid disturbances such as loud conversations, music, television, pets, etc during quiet hours.
- Primary tenants are responsible for the behaviour of all tenants and guests who may be residing in the rental unit. If a tenant or guest disrupts the comfort and enjoyment of any neighbors, the Primary will be held responsible.
Do you have INSURANCE?
Cowichan Tribes only insures its rental units, not your personal belongings. Although you are not required to purchase Renters/Contents Insurance, we recommend that you do so to protect your personal belongings in case of fire, theft, earthquake or other damage.Click here to read more about Insurance
- Pets must be kept on a leash and with a responsible person when not inside their units.
- Noisy, aggressive, or vicious pets are not permitted.
- Large pets must be kept outside on a leash and may not be inside the rental units.
All tenants are required to register their pet through the Lands Department and have a License Number available upon request.
You may have a guests stay with you for up to 30 consecutive days. For longer stays, you must get written permission from the Housing Department. If a guest stays longer than 30 days without permission, that person is required to be added to the HPP (Housing Participant Profile) if guidelines permit an additional occupant.
Do you have a pest problem?
COMMON SIGNS OF BEDBUGS
- Clusters of small, red bites typically on the face, neck, hands and arms; bumps may be raised or flat
- Fecal stains, egg cases and shed skins in crevices and cracks on or near beds and mattresses
COMMON SIGNS OF COCKROACHES
- A visual identification: seeing one anywhere in the home (if you see one, there's at least 800 out of sight)
- Fecal matter is black specks on the walls
COMMON SIGNS OF RODENTS
- Gnaw or bite marks in wires or insulation
- Fecal matter found in home
ALL RENTAL UNITS ARE NON-SMOKING AND NON-VAPING
Tenants are liable for any damage arising from any hazard or threat to safety, including fire.
(Section 10 - Housing Agreement)
Q: What are my responsibilities as a tenant?
A: Tenant responsibilities include: